Criminal Defense And High-Stakes Divorce In Georgia Requires Grit And Local Insight

Aerial View of Lake Oconee

What if Your Spouse Filed for Divorce?

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2022 | Firm News

If your spouse moves forward and files for divorce, you might not know what to do. Whether the divorce is a surprise to you or not, it is important that you don’t delay in speaking with a Greensboro divorce attorney, as you only have a limited amount of time to respond to the divorce petition in court.

Your response to a divorce petition is called an answer, and it must be filed within 30 days after you are served with the complaint. If you fail to respond, it can hurt your case or even end up in a default judgment. This means that the court issues a divorce order without considering your side.

When you file an answer, you want it to be prepared by a skilled divorce attorney who understands your rights under Georgia law. The petition should set out how your spouse wants to resolve:

  • Property division
  • Alimony
  • Child custody
  • Child support

The answer gives you the opportunity to state how you would like to resolve divorce-related issues if you do not agree with your spouse. For example, your spouse might state they want full child custody and excessive alimony payments, which is unfair to you. Your attorney can draft your answer to challenge your spouse’s unreasonable requests.

You can also include defenses in your divorce answer if you disagree with your spouse’s allegations. For example, if your spouse alleges in the petition that you committed adultery, you can present defenses to this accusation in your answer.

Let a Greensboro Divorce Lawyer Help

While receiving news of a divorce petition can be a shock, never wait to reach out to the EJ Boswell Law Office for assistance in responding to the divorce petition. We can help through every stage of your case, so please contact us online to call 706-417-8299 today.